9/20/18, Maine First Media Staff Report,
This is the Maine Headlines section of your weekly Maine Event.
This feature is for those of you who need your news on the go!
Here’s your quick take on some of the biggest recent stories in Maine Politics that weren’t individually featured in the Maine Event:
- The state will NOT renew disgraced former representative, Dillon Bates’ teaching credentials. Bates was accused of having inappropriate relationships with multiple minor girls. He resigned from the House. Speaker of the Swamp Sara Gideon did not investigate the allegations and denied Bates due process. The ex-rep has not been charged with any crimes.
- Lewiston Police have arrested seven residents on prostitution charges. That brings their total to at least 12 prostitution solicitation arrests in recent weeks. The Department is conducting an ongoing investigation in and arresting “John’s” in an effort to combat human trafficking in Lewiston.
- Maine’s Christian Civic League has endorsed Dr. Mark Holbrook in his bid to unseat resister Rep. Chellie Pingree. Dr. Holbrook is the only Pro-Life candidate in the CD-1 race. He’s also against Doctor-Assisted Suicide and in favor of School Choice.
- Another out-of-state dark money group is trying to swing Maine elections to the Left. Patients for Affordable Drugs is committing $1-Million with this ad attacking Rep. Bruce Poliquin.
- Ranked-Choice Voting is going to cost Maine so much, the Secretary of State expects the State to go into debt to pay for it! SoS Matt Dunlap requested an ADDITIONAL $300,000 to implement RCV. The legislature passed the request. Gov. LePage vetoed it, and enough House Republicans voted to sustain the veto during the finals days of the 2018 never-ending legislative session.
- Another example of Canadians trying to negatively impact Maine’s economy. Canadian Crabs are making their way into Maine waters, where they’re a threat to disrupt the ecosystem by eating Maine’s soft-shelled clams.
- A PAC aimed at ending Female Genital Mutilation in Maine is holding a fundraiser, Friday, September 28th in Scarborough. The featured speaker at the event is FGM survivor, F.A. Cole, who was part of the effort to pass an FGM ban in Maine in 2018.
- The BoSox are one step closer to the Penate and World Series. By beating the hated Yankees, the Boston Red Sox have clinched the AL East title!