8/17/18, Maine First Media Staff Report,
This is the Maine Headlines section of your weekly Maine Event.
This feature is for those of you who need your news on the go!
Here’s your quick take on some of the biggest recent stories in Maine Politics that weren’t individually featured in the Maine Event:
- The Maine Ethics Commission has voted 3-1 to release the $3.5-Million in held-up Candidate Welfare Crack. The problem here is, the Ethics Commission has no authority to do this. If they did, they would have done it from the beginning and not messed around with the legislature and public comment periods. This is a radical state bureaucracy, illegally acting against the will of the Maine people. The Ethics Commission is not an elected body and is acting above their authority to force Mainers to fund the campaigns of candidate they hate. And if this was the Ethics Commission’s plan all along, they should have done it many months ago and saved Maine workers tons of money on this never-ending legislative session.
- Speaker of the Swamp, Rep. Sara Gideon is notifying legislators that the never-ending legislative session will reconvene Wed, Aug 22. Interestingly, her notice came out so close to the Ethics Commission’s illegal ruling on Candidate Welfare Crack. Forget the Trump-Russia witchunt…this is a true example of collusion! Maine First Media has included a copy of the e-mail sent to House members from the Swamp Speaker at the bottom of this page.
- Maine’s lying, dying, Fake News outlets continue to spread lies about Energy Expert — and new State Senate candidate — Jim LaBrecque getting facts wrong. The story linked here is a lie in an effort to discredit LaBrecque and advance the Green Crony Corporatist agenda. You can listen to LaBrecque explaining how the AP got it wrong — again — by clicking here. Always fun when “journalists” with arts degrees try to “correct” an expert in a field as complex as energy.
- Maine Heritage Policy Center must have read Maine First Media’s investigative report on the dark money influence helping Leftists win at the ballot box in the Pine Tree State. The Policy Center is out with a new report showing 71% of money spent on referendums in Maine comes from out-of-state. While the Left obsess over its next hit of Candidate Welfare crack — which we’re told is cleaning up Maine elections — it is out-of-state Leftists organizations and radical billionaires like George Soros (who funds the Marxist Pedophile Authority) who are deciding what happens in Maine politics.
- Lewiston Police Officers are facing a number of challenges as they attempt to crack down on the rise in gang and drug violence and tensions between residents and Somali refugees in the downtown area. The department is understaffed — preventing them from doing the types of community outreach that deters crime. The department doesn’t pay as much as neighboring departments — while asking more work from the officers — making it difficult to fill openings. And officers are hampered with loads of bureaucratic red tape.
- While non-citizen voting grabbed all the headlines (rightfully so), Portland residents at Monday night’s City Council meeting were still arguing against a proposed plan to build a mega-complex homeless shelter in the city.
- BDN Political reporter, Chris Cousins, has passed away at the young age of 42. While Cousins and Maine First Media didn’t see eye-to-eye on politics or how to report it, Cousins was far too young to be taken from his friends and family. Tragedies like this are reminders, despite political differences, we are all still humans who have people who love and miss us. We wish Cousins’ loved ones the best in this difficult time.
From: Gideon, Sara
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 2:51 PM
To: Legislature: Representatives – All
Cc: Legislature: Speakers Office; Legislature: House Democratic Office; Legislature: House Republican Office; Legislature: Clerks Office; Legislature: House Chamber Staff
Subject: Possible Date to Reconvene
Dear Fellow House Members,
This is to let you know that the House is likely to convene next Wednesday, August 22. An official notice will go out Monday. I wanted to give you a heads up so that you could plan accordingly.
Speaker Sara Gideon