The Maine Headlines: Volume 10

6/28/18, Maine First Media Staff Report,

This is the Maine Headlines section of your weekly Maine Event.

This feature is for those of you who need your news on the go!

Here’s your quick take on some of the biggest recent stories in Maine Politics:

Energy Savings Facts from Maine’s Energy Expert, James MeBrecque

  • 100MW hydro line at 100% capacity factor (what the Green Crony Corporatists have artificially capped Maine at) produces about 38% of the total energy generated by all Maine’s installed wind capacity to date, but unlike wind or solar, hydro is baseload production quality.
  • Adding this scale of renewable hydro energy to Maine’s resource inventory will have a major impact on REC’s and a competitive impact on generation.
  • For every $2.00 in a gallon of oil that leaves this state, Maine loses $19.25/MMBtu when figuring that the majority of our old stock of heating systems deliver around 75% of the oil used is in the form of useful heat, the other 25% of the heat goes up the chimney and in the cellar. The $19.25/MMBtu does not include the electricity to run furnaces.
  • For every 6 cents/kWh that leaves Maine to go to Canada for clean hydropower to run heat pumps, Maine loses $5.86/MMBtu. This does not account for the fact that homes with heat pumps also use less heat because of the local/spot heating characteristics, whereas central heating systems provide more uniform heat throughout the home which requires more energy.
  • For every MMBtu’s from Canadian hydro running heat pumps that displaces oil, Maine keeps $13.39 from leaving Maine’s economy. ($19.25 – $5.86 = $13.39)
  • 100MW hydroelectric production for a year with a COP of 3 at $13.39 savings/MMBtu comes up to $120M/year. This $120M stays in Maine’s economy instead of ending up in the pockets of oil out of state oil companies.
  • 100MW hydroelectric production for a year with a COP of 3 will displace 86 million gallons of oil when using 75% average oil efficient heating systems.
  • Using the 100MW hydropower limit to run heat pumps will save Maine $259M/year. ($3.00/gallon, 86.3 million gallons)
  • 100MW hydroelectric production for a year running heat pumps with a COP of 3 will reduce Maine’s CO2 by 1.9 billion Lbs./year Whereas our total installed wind capacity of 930.6MW to date saves 1.6 billion Lbs. of CO2/year. (This is based on N.E. average CO2/MW, not Maine, which would look even better for hydro driven heat pumps)
  • To prevent $121M/year from leaving the state in exchange for oil imports, and to save $259M/year in reducing heating oil use, and to reduce Maine’s carbon footprint by 1.9 billion Lbs./year, Maine would have to invest in 219,000 1-ton heat pumps at an install cost of $680M. Maine is nearly 1/3 of the way to that number and will need clean hydro to provide the energy for those heat pump resources.
  • Investing $680M in heat pumps, saves 1.9 billion Lbs. CO2/year
  • Investing $1.6B in wind, saves 1.6 billion Lbs. CO2/year
  • Investing $4.8B in solar would also save 1.6 billion Lbs. CO2/year

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *